Reflection 2011 R1 New Features and Release Notes
Technical Note 2506
Last Reviewed 14-Oct-2010
Reflection for IBM 2011 R1
Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2011 R1
Reflection Standard Suite 2011 R1
This technical note outlines the new features available in Reflection 2011 R1, as well as product release notes.
Reflection 2011 products include the following:
- Reflection for IBM 2011
- Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2011
- Reflection Standard Suite 2011 (which includes the functionality of Reflection for IBM 2011 and Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2011)
- Reflection Enterprise Suite 2011 (which includes Reflection Standard Suite 2011 and Reflection for the Web 2008)
Note: For information about new features in Reflection 2011 R3, see Technical Note 2631; for Reflection 2011 R2, see Technical Note 2571.
The following is a summary of the many new and enhanced user interface, productivity, management, and security features you'll find in Reflection 2011.
Note: Reflection 2011 also includes all of the features and fixes in Reflection 2008 R1 Service Pack 1 and 2, which are described in Technical Note 2434.
Installation features have been added to Reflection 2011, enabling you to
- Update the Emulation/Compatibility branch of the installation feature tree.
- Select more optional product features at the time of installation. For example, you can now enable or disable various productivity features, VBA, display of built-in templates, and the web browser feature.
- Create multiple shortcuts for the same file.
- Set the default user data directory when running Setup.exe, if you are not using the Attachmate Customization Tool.
Attachmate Customization Tool (ACT) enhancements include
- Support for environment variables in the path statement when adding a Trusted Location.
- The ability to set Workspace settings using the Modify user option.
- Support for the Customization Tool setup property, WRQ_USERDIR.
- The ability to change/add a pseudo tag (for example, "[RootDir]\mydir") for an installation folder.
Security Connection enhancements include
- New fields for configuring user name and SSH Config Scheme when doing multi-hop connections.
- The addition of descriptive password change warning and error messages in the SSH client.
Connection configuration improvements include adding the User Key tab to the MultiHop configuration menu for SSH connections.
Configuration enhancements include providing the ability to set Field Security on fields that contain sensitive information. Field security allows you to turn off Auto Complete and Recent Typing on specific fields. It also disables prompts and prevents data from being copied or displayed when you use Screen History, Microsoft Office Tools, and other productivity features.
API improvements include
- In .NET, the ability to access activated frame instances started by users.
- Improved .NET API documentation for the string received when .WaitForString method returns Success.
- API ConnectionSettings string properties can now be set to an empty string.
- The ability to change the text that displays on the Reflection Workspace title.
- The ability to add user-defined VBA DefinedEvents and Event handlers for IBM and VT sessions.
- API documentation changes for the Attachmate.Reflection.Objects.Emulation.OpenSystems.Screen.SearchText Function to clarify that it is 1 based.
- HLLAPI ability to call ConnectPS and open a host session by using the shortname association with *.RD3X or *.RD5X files instead of the EXTRA! *.EDP file.
Copy/Paste enhancements include an option to copy only text from the screen, with no formatting information.
FTP File transfer improvements include
- A new "Run in FIPS mode" checkbox on the SSL/TLS tab.
- An IPv6 indicator on the Status Bar to indicate connection type.
- Removing a partially transferred file from the FTP server when the client receives a "user interrupt" message.
- The ability to set permissions or umask before a file transfer upload.
- An option in the SFTP Client GUI to preserve timestamps for file uploads.
Printing enhancements now provide the ability to
- Use a 5250 printer session through the Microsoft Office 2007 Document Image Writer driver configured for .TIFF file format.
- Print multiple screens to a single page.
A new support utility called Reflection Collection Tool (RCT) enables Reflection 2011 to easily gather configuration files.
Ribbon enhancements include
- The ability to customize session tab colors.
- Variable ribbon appearance depending on the operating system: on Windows XP or Vista, the ribbon displays like the Office 2007 ribbon; on Windows 7, the ribbon displays like the Office 2010 ribbon.
- A change to the tabbed-session intensity to identify which session has focus.
Additional enhancements include
- Support for legacy EXTRA! QuickPads.
- Reflection VT sessions now display large UNIX warning and consent banners when presented via PAM.
- Support for environment variables in the HLLAPI.XML file to set the specific user folder path to the host session file.
- Support for use of a blank label and/or no image for a custom button in the UI Designer.
- Setting the default font to MS Mincho for host character set UTF-8 on Japanese operating systems.
- The ability to migrate custom EXTRA! toolbars.
The following issues have been resolved in Reflection 2011:
- IBM Mainframe sessions work properly and without errors if you choose to not install the Unix and OpenVMS feature set.
- Resolved the “Could not read file…” error that sporadically resulted in a zero-byte host session file (*.RDOX, *.RD3X, and *.RD5X) after closing the host session on a very slow or heavily-loaded PC.
- The Right Control key in an IBM Mainframe host session will auto-repeat correctly.
- A VT session Hard Reset will no longer clear the display memory or the history buffer.
- The cursor placement after a 3270 Insert Cursor order when configured for Japanese is now correct.
This section describes known issues in Reflection 2011, and provides suggested solutions and workarounds when appropriate.
- When creating an administrative installation, if there are other Attachmate products already installed, setup.exe may prevent you from successfully initiating an administrative installation by displaying the error, " This product cannot be installed because incompatible products were found." If you receive this error, run msiexec to initiate your administrative installation:
msiexec /a [packagename].msi TARGETDIR=[path_to_administrative_installation_point]
- Installing from CDAlthough times vary depending on your CDROM drive speed, installing any of the Reflection 2011 products from CD may take a long time (more than 15 minutes) during the "Copying New Files" phase.
Note: This affects installing from CD only; it does not affect installing from the electronic file download.
- Language VersionsReflection Enterprise Suite 2011 includes Reflection Standard Suite 2011 and Reflection for the Web 2008. Note that the language versions for these component products are different. Reflection Standard Suite 2011 is localized in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, and Spanish. Reflection for the Web 2008 Standard Edition is localized in English, French, German, and Japanese.
- Reflection for the Web links list featureIf you have both Reflection for the Web and Reflection for IBM version 14.x installed and are using the links list feature in Reflection for the Web to launch a Reflection for IBM session, once you upgrade to Reflection for IBM 2011 and launch a session, you may receive the error, “Your Windows-based application is version <version number>. Reflection for the Web does not support this version.”
- Macro recordingWhen recording a macro that spans both IBM and VT sessions the macro should be saved in the Common project. If the macro is saved in the current document’s folder some editing of the code will be required to get the macro to compile.
Obtaining the Product
Maintained customers are eligible to download the latest product releases from the Attachmate Download Library web site: https://download.attachmate.com/Upgrades/.
You will be prompted to login and accept the Software License Agreement before you can select and download a file. For more information on using the Download Library web site, see Technical Note 0200.
For information about purchasing Reflection 2011, please e-mail us: SalesRecept@attachmate.com.
For information about platform support in Reflection, see Technical Note 2511.
Installing or Upgrading to Reflection 2011 References
InstallingFor information about installing Reflection 2011, see the Installation and Deployment Guide available on the Reflection 2011 Documentation page: http://support.attachmate.com/manuals/reflection2011.html.
UpgradingThe Reflection 2011 installer will, depending on the product, upgrade and remove Attachmate products or prompt you to manually remove Attachmate products before completing the installation.
For detailed information about upgrading to Reflection 2011, see Technical Note 2508.
Evaluating Reflection 2011
The Reflection 2011 Evaluation software installer will, depending on the product, upgrade and remove Attachmate products or prompt you to manually remove Attachmate products before completing the Evaluation installation. To retain your existing Attachmate installations, we recommend that you install Reflection 2011 Evaluation software on a machine that has no other Attachmate products installed.
Reflection 2011 Evaluation Guides are available on the Reflection 2011 Documentation page: http://support.attachmate.com/manuals/reflection2011.html.
Product documentation and evaluation guides for Reflection 2011 can be found at: http://support.attachmate.com/manuals/reflection2011.html.