Reflection 2008 R1 Service Pack 2: Release Notes, Fixes and Features
Technical Note 2434
Last Reviewed 20-Jul-2010
Reflection for IBM 2008 R1 or higher
Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2008 R1 or higher
Reflection Standard Suite 2008 R1 or higher
Reflection 2008 R1 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is available to maintained users who already have R1. This technical note provides information about obtaining and applying Reflection 2008 R1 SP2 and lists the features and fixes included in this service pack and in SP1.
Note the following:
- Reflection 2011 is available beginning in July 2010. For a list of new features, see Technical Note 2506.
- For a list of features originally included in Reflection 2008 R1 products, see Technical Note 2384.
- This document references a Reflection service pack. Service packs are available to licensed Attachmate customers with current maintenance plans for these products. For information about logins and accessing the Attachmate Download Library, see Technical Note 0200.
This technical note is organized into the following topics:
Obtaining Your Service Pack
Reflection 2008 R1 SP2 is available from the Attachmate Download Library. Maintained customers are eligible to download the latest product release and service packs from the Attachmate Download Library web site: https://download.attachmate.com/Upgrades/.
If you have Reflection for NonStop 2008 Add-On installed, download the Service Pack 2 download package for Reflection for NonStop 2008 (which includes Reflection 2008 R1 SP2 and Reflection for NonStop 2008 R1 SP2).
You will be prompted to login and accept the Software License Agreement before you can select and download a file. For more information on using the Download Library web site, see Technical Note 0200.
For information about purchasing Reflection 2008, please e-mail us: SalesRecept@attachmate.com.
Applying the Service Pack
For information about applying the service pack, see Technical Note 2255.
For information about installing Reflection for NonStop 2008, see Technical Note 2444.
Features and Fixes in R1 SP2
The following features and fixes are included in Reflection 2008 R1 SP2.
Note: This service pack is cumulative and includes all of the fixes originally contained in R1 SP1.
- Ability to specify the default directory for EXTRA! macros enables a smoother transition for EXTRA! users.
- New settings for exiting application prevent users from losing data and improve productivity:
- Prevent application from exiting a session if connected to a host (VT only).
- Close frame when last session disconnects and exits.
- You can customize the print screen title, header, and footer text, allowing maximum flexibility with printed output for IBM host sessions.
- You can assign actions to a double-click mouse event, enabling you to streamline processes with mouse clicks.
- Enhancements for Cut / Copy / Paste operations:
- Option to not move cursor after copy/paste event.
- Support for IBM host "field oriented" pastes, similar to EXTRA!'s functionality.
- Ability to configure paste operation to blank out remaining characters in a field when the quantity of text characters pasted is smaller than the field length.
- Support for additional platforms: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Reflection 2008 no longer displays the accelerator keys when you press Alt+F4.
- Reflection 2008 sessions now load faster if a large number of fonts are installed under Microsoft Windows. Some users may also see faster screen-to-screen transitions in their host sessions.
- If you have locked ProjectLegacy for viewing, a run-time error no longer displays when executing a Reflection 14.x or earlier macro.
- IBM host sessions now connect if an SNA BIND Image is split across multiple Telnet packets.
- Exception error no longer occurs when clicking "Manual Capture" in a VT session with the following terminal types: AT386, Linux Console, XTERM, BBS-ANSI, SCO-ANSI, and VT-UTF8.
- The Attachmate/EXTRA! HKCU hive in the Windows registry is no longer created when an EXTRA! Basic macro is run.
- Improved File Transfer support:
- Better navigation of host session file structure with the Level command.
- File Transfer now responds correctly to the Hosts Integrity check.
- Show Host Files now correctly lists files when connected through a Visara Controller.
- VT improvements:
- VT sessions no longer freeze on exit after opening a Reflection 14.x or earlier configuration that has both the "Exit on disconnect" setting enabled and an event defined that runs the VB command .Quit.
- Improved support for VT session when configured for "close session automatically" when connection is terminated.
- Improved .NET and VBA API support:
- The Wait function now works similar to the way it worked in Reflection 14.x or earlier.
- The PutText method now correctly writes text to hidden host fields.
- The .NET API function, MyReflection.Stop, now works properly if the workspace is not visible.
- VBA references correctly carry forward when opening Reflection 14.x or earlier configuration files.
- The VBA Attachmate_Reflection_Objects_Framework.ApplicationObject class now works correctly.
- The HLLAPI function, QuerySessions, returns the proper short name for all open host sessions.
- The legacy COM "OpenSettings" method returns proper data.
- Multiple instances of the Reflection workspace can be opened with API set to "use TCP/IP".
- The Session.OleServerName property on the legacy COM interface now works with the VBA function GetObject.
- The EXTRA! COM function, Sessions.Open, now correctly launches a session without error messages.
- Copy/Paste features have been improved:
- “Requested Clipboard operation did not succeed” error that occasionally occurs in another Windows application while Reflection 2008 is loaded no longer occurs.
- Copy/Paste data loss issue is resolved.
- Keyboard mapping has been enhanced:
- The Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS "Nothing" key now migrates properly to Reflection 2008.
- Pressing the right CTRL key + End key now sends the End of Text key in IBM 3270 sessions.
- Remapping keys in a VT session takes effect immediately, no longer requiring that the session be reloaded.
Features and Fixes in R1 SP1
The following features and fixes are included in Reflection 2008 R1 SP1.
- Updated encryption technology.
The latest version of Attachmate’s cryptographic module is FIPS 140-2 validated (certificate #1027) and offers stronger encryption ciphers (including arcfour128, arcfour256, aes128-ctr, aes192-ctr, and aes256-ctr) and stronger MAC algorithms (including hmac-sha256 and hmac-sha512), which address known security vulnerabilities.
- Support for HTTP proxy servers.
- Added options for startup and connection macros.
Users can configure the product to initiate actions when the workspace is loaded, increasing productivity by automating certain business processes.
- Modem support for VT connections.
Modem and serial connection support adds to a wide range of connection capabilities, including the ability to connect to network routers.
- Added options to minimize the Ribbon and customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).
Refinements to key productivity features like the QAT and the Ribbon enable users to complete tasks quicker.
- Drag and drop support for Reflection documents.
Dragging session or Web document files onto the Reflection Workspace opens the document.
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) support.
- Improved Performance.
- Reduced the time required for Reflection to start both after a cold start (a system reboot) and a warm start (turning Reflection on after it is turned off without a system reboot). For more information, see Technical Note 2324.
- Fixed issues with keyboard input performance degradation.
- Support for 32-bit .NET API applications on 64-bit Windows systems.
.NET applications that are compiled as 32-bit processes can now use the Reflection .NET API to start the Reflection Workspace on 64-bit Windows systems.
- Added session connection options.
- "Automatically connect to the host" specifies to establish a host connection as soon as the associated session document is opened.
- The "When connection is terminated" list options specify what Reflection does when a session connection is terminated (automatically reconnect, ask to reconnect, do nothing, or terminate the session).
- Enhanced SendText to allow multiple action parameters.
Users can map a key to an action sequence that sends both text and host keys.
- Added support for 5250 (AS/400) Display and Print support for Vietnamese character set.
- Added authentication style "FTPUser@FTPServer FirewallUser".
With support for this new authentication style, the Reflection FTP client can authenticate against servers that expect this authentication style.
- Reflection 2008 can now make an SSL connection without a host certificate.
The "Retrieve and validate certificate chain" option specifies whether to require a host certificate for an SSL connection.
- Running a legacy EXTRA! (*.ebm) macro no longer creates a "\My Documents\Attachmate" folder.
- Fixed issue with the Reflection workspace opening when a printer session is launched.
- Auto Complete now records typed items and provides suggestions.
- Improved .NET and VBA API Help that includes examples for ApplicationObject.GetObject, "Get Started OpenSystems," and the "HostAddress" property.
- Improved .NET and VBA API support for host sessions.
- Problems with the Reflection Basic WaitForStrings method have been fixed.
- Locked VBA projects can now record and execute macros. The user is prompted for the project password. If no password is provided, the recording is cancelled. Loading the locked project no longer creates ghost VBA projects in the VBA editor.
- The ability to programmatically start or stop VT logging was added.
- The ability to run a startup macro before a connection is made to the host was added.
- Problems with saving the VT AutoConnect setting are fixed. (This setting was not being saved.)
- Improved support for IND$File file transfer.
- Improved support for Tektronix, including graphics support, terminal cursor, and 401x terminal type.
- Addressed issue of Linux, AT386, SCO-ANSI, and BBS-ANSI terminal keys sending wrong text.
- Improved handling of missing files.
- When Reflection is unable to locate a custom file (for example, a keyboard, or Ribbon file) specified for a session, it now prompts you to use a default file.
- When Reflection is unable to open a custom theme file for a session, it notifies the user and uses the default theme file. The saved session file uses the default theme for all subsequent sessions.
Known Issue with SP1
In certain scenarios, if you install the product release, Reflection for IBM 2008 R1 + SP1 (which includes Service Pack 1) over a Reflection for IBM 2008 installation that has previously been updated with a temporary hotfix, the upgrade appears to run smoothly; however, the product is not actually upgraded.
See Technical Note 2437 for more information about when this problem occurs and provides a workaround.
Product documentation and evaluation guides for Reflection 2008 can be found at http://support.attachmate.com/manuals/reflection2008.html.