Technical Note 2373
Last Reviewed 07-Feb-2017
Host Access Management and Security Server version 12.2 or higher
Reflection for the Web version 12.2 or higher
Reflection for the Web 2014 (All Editions)
This technical note outlines solutions to use if your Management and Security Server or Reflection for the Web Master server goes down in your replicated environment.
If the Master server goes down, you can either:
- Restore the master server.
- Create a new master server.
See Technical Note 2174 for detailed information about configuring master and slave servers.
Restore the Master Server
If it is possible to restore your master server within a short period of time, this is the easiest course of action. Be sure to restore the masterís MSSData (or ReflectionData) directory to the state you want to replicate to all of the slave servers.
For example, you may need to restore the masterís MSSData (or ReflectionData) to the most recent backup. Then, make additional configuration changes to the master before you enable the slaves to be sure the slaves replicate the correct master server configuration.
If your original master server is restored, follow these steps to convert it to a slave server:
- Convert the original master server to a standalone server, waiting a minute or so for the system to stabilize.
- Convert the standalone server to a slave server. The new master server configuration will then be replicated to this new slave server.
Create a New Master Server
Note: When you create a new master server, all servers in your replicated environment take on the new master serverís configuration. Be sure that your new master server is configured the way you want all your servers configured before you assign any server to be a slave server.
You may want to use the most recent masterís MSSData (or ReflectionData) directory backup as a starting point.
To change the role of a server to master in a replicated environment, follow these steps:
- In the Administrative WebStation, open Settings > Replication tab. Convert all servers to Standalone.
- On the desired master server, change the Server Role from Standalone to Master,
- On the master server and add all the slave servers in the Add Replication Slave Server section. For assistance, see Help.
- Make any necessary configuration updates to the master.
- On each Slave server, change the Server Role from Standalone to Slave. Then in the Add Replication Server section, redirect each slave server to point to the new Master server..