Using Group Policy to Deploy Reflection
Technical Note 1803
Last Reviewed 29-Aug-2013
Reflection for IBM version 14.x
Reflection for HP version 14.x
Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS version 14.x
Reflection X version 14.x
This technical note describes how to install Reflection using Windows Group Policy.
This note is intended for use by system administrators who are experienced in working with Microsoft's Active Directory and group policies.
Preparing Reflection for Deployment
Before using the Group Policy feature, you must identify a software distribution point using the Reflection installation process.
- From the Reflection CD or package installer, run Install.exe and select Administrative Installation. Install Reflection to a network share point.
- If you want to customize Reflection for your environment, use the Reflection Customization Manager utility to configure Reflection and create a Windows Installer transform (.mst) file.
For more information about using the Reflection Deployment Manager, refer to the product help or see the section titled "Phase 2 - Customizing Reflection" in the Preparing to Deploy Reflection Guide 14.1, http://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/14.1/deploy.pdf.
Deploying with a Group Policy
Follow these steps to use Group Policy to deploy your version of Reflection.
- In Windows, start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- In the console tree, right-click the organization unit to which you want to deploy Reflection and select Properties.
- In the Acct Properties dialog box, click the Group Policy tab.
- Click New to create a new Group Policy Object (GPO) and enter a name for the GPO. Click Edit to open the Group Policy Window.
- You can assign or publish to computers or users.
To assign to a computer: In the left pane, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Software Settings.
To assign or publish to users: In the left pane, expand User Configuration, and then expand Software Settings.
- For each configuration (Computer or User), right-click Software Installation, and click New > Package.
- In the Open dialog box, select the Reflection installation package (such as SX140ilc.msi), and click Open.
- If you want to add a transform, select "Advanced publish or assigned" in the Deploy Software dialog box. Click OK.
Note: You cannot add a transform if you select either Published or Assigned.
After a pause, the Reflection Properties dialog box displays.
- Click the Deployment tab and select your deployment type: Published or Assigned.
- If your installation is customized, click the Modifications tab.
Click Add, and browse to the transform (.mst) you created. Click Open.
To add another transform, click Add, browse to and open the next transform.
- On the Modifications tab, use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to place the transforms in the correct sequence.
Important: Do not click OK until all of the transforms are added and ordered correctly.
- When all of your transforms are added and placed in the correct order, click OK. Then, click OK to deploy the Reflection software (according to your selection in step 9) to the organizational unit.