Migrating Settings from Reflection for IBM to Reflection for the Web
Technical Note 1782
Last Reviewed 02-Jun-2011
Reflection for the Web 2014 (All Editions)
Reflection for the Web 2011 (All Editions)
Reflection for the Web 2008 (All Editions)
Reflection for IBM version 14.x
This technical note lists the steps to migrate settings to Reflection for the Web from Reflection for IBM.
Before You Begin
Before migrating settings to Reflection for the Web, consider the following limitations and options.
- Some features in Reflection for IBM are not supported in Reflection for the Web, such as VBA, toolbars, and menu mapping. Also Reflection for IBM supports more transport types than Reflection for the Web. Only the Telnet and Telnet extended transport types are supported in Reflection for the Web for mainframe and IBM i (iSeries or AS/400) emulation.
- Reflection for IBM will migrate all possible settings, including default values, to Reflection for the Web settings, with one exception. Reflection for IBM will migrate only keyboard mappings that are different from default Reflection for IBM mappings.
- Reflection for IBM settings that can be converted to Reflection for the Web format include: session, terminal, printer, colors, and keyboard mappings.
- Reflection for IBM settings that cannot be converted to Reflection for the Web format include: macros, file transfer, events, menu, toolbar, preferences, DDE, mouse mapping, hotspots, and hotlists.
Migrating settings to Reflection for the Web is a two-step process. First, you must export the settings from Reflection for IBM, then you can import the settings into Reflection for the Web.
Exporting Settings from Reflection for IBM
Reflection for the Web supports connections over Telnet and Telnet extended in mainframe and AS/400 terminal emulation. If you are configured to use one of these transport types, you can export your Reflection for IBM settings to Reflection for the Web *.config files.
To export your settings
- On Reflection for IBM's File menu, click Save As.
- Select "Reflection for the Web (*.config)" from the Save as type list box.
- Click Save.
Importing Settings into Reflection for the Web
The Session Manager in the Reflection for the Web Administrative WebStation enables you to create a Web-based Reflection session, launch it, and import a configuration file.
To create a Reflection for the Web session and import settings
- Log in to the Reflection for the Web Administrative WebStation.
- In the left navigation bar, click Session Manager.
- Either add a new session or edit an existing one.
To add a session: Click Add. On the Add New Session page, select the session type, and enter a name for the session. Click Continue.
To edit an existing session: Click the session name.
- On the Configure a Web-Based Reflection Session page, select an appearance option, enable FTP (if desired), and then click Launch.
- In the launched session, click Cancel to close the Connection Setup dialog.
- Click Administration > Import Configuration.
- Browse to the *.config file you want to import and click Open.
- On the File menu, click Save and Exit. Then click Save/Exit on the Save Settings dialog box to save the changes and close the session.
- Click Access Mapper and select the session you just added or edited, and click Save Settings. Note: If Authorization is enabled assign a group or user to the session.
You have completed the steps necessary to migrate your settings to Reflection for the Web.