Technical Note 1693
Last Reviewed 31-May-2006
Reflection Windows-based Products version 8.0.2 through 13.x (English and Japanese)
Reflection Windows-based Products version 8.0 through 13.x (French and German)
This technical note describes how to upgrade an administrative installation to Reflection 14.x.
New Release Available Now
Reflection 14.1 products are available beginning in June 2010. For information about new features and release notes, see Technical Note 2492.
Reflection 2014 products are available beginning in February 2014.
- For a list of new features in Reflection 2014, see Technical Note 2699. For information about upgrading to Reflection 2014 products, see Technical Note 2702.
- For information about purchasing Reflection 2014 products, please e-mail us: SalesRecept@attachmate.com or visit http://www.attachmate.com/How+To+Buy/.
Before You Create a Reflection Administrative Installation
Before installing Reflection 14.x, note the following:
- You must create a new network installation point for Reflection 14.x. Do not install Reflection 14.x to the same administrative installation point used for an earlier Reflection installation. Note: Reflection 14.1 also requires a new network installation point; it is not a patch or service pack.
- If you customized the deployment of the earlier installation and wish to retain these customizations, you must customize the 14.x administrative installation in the same manner. Otherwise, you will lose the added files and profiling customizations when 14.x is deployed.
- If you want to deploy a customized installation of Reflection 14.x, use the Reflection Customization Manager to create the Administrative installation point.
- If you are using Microsoft group policy to deploy the Reflection upgrade, see Technical Note 1572 for details about upgrading an Administrative Installation.
Known Issues and Recommendations
The following three sections describe known issues and recommendations associated with customizations to the Reflection 14.x:
Setting Installation Options
- You cannot add or remove features by creating a transform and using the Set Installation Options in Reflection Customization Manager. When you upgrade your workstations from the new administrative installation point, the upgrade migration of features will override these selections. (The upgrade will install the same features originally installed in the earlier version.)
- If you set a feature to "Install on demand" in the earlier version of Reflection, and your user did not implement the feature (that is, install the feature), after the upgrade to Reflection 14.x the feature will be set to "Install to local hard drive." This cannot be changed.
- It is possible to add additional files (such as settings files, client files, text files, or document files) to the installation using the Add Files feature in Reflection Customization Manager; however, you will lose the additional files when you upgrade Reflection to version 14.x. If you want the file to remain after upgrading or uninstalling the product, select the "Make this file permanent" check box in the Add File to Installation dialog box.
Another way to add files to the installation is by creating a companion package. By using a companion package, you can retain additional files when you upgrade or uninstall Reflection. For more information, see the section titled, "Make Additional Files Available for Your Users with Companion Packages," in the Preparing to Deploy Reflection Guide 14.1 (PDF file): http://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/14.1/deploy.pdf.
- If you customized a previous installation and added additional files, Reflection Deployment Manager version 14.x has the ability to move the additional files between administrative installations or to a companion package. We recommend that you upgrade both Reflection and Reflection Deployment Manager to the same version.
For more information about how to copy added files between installations, see the online help for Reflection Deployment Manager 14.x.
Profiling Product Functions
- You must redo any product profiling done for an earlier installation. If you do not re-profile the products, the profiling will be lost when upgrading.
Creating a Reflection 14.x Administrative Installation
You must create a new network installation point for Reflection 14.x and re-customize to get the same customizations made in an earlier installation. For detailed instructions about this process, see the Preparing to Deploy Reflection Guide (PDF file): http://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/14.1/deploy.pdf.
Note: Reflection 14.1 requires a new network installation point; it is not a patch or a service pack.
Overview of the steps involved to prepare your Reflection 14.x administrative installation:
- Perform a Workstation Install of Reflection 14.x on your administrator workstation.
Note: Reflection 13.0 or higher ships with Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) 3.x. However, when Reflection is installed from an administrative installation, Reflection does not automatically update the Windows Installer as it does from the CD or CD image.
- Install the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit (which includes the Reflection Deployment Manager).
- Use the Reflection Customization Manager (or Deployment Manager, depending on your version) to put the administrative installation on a file server.
- Use the Reflection Customization Manager to customize the Reflection 14.x administrative installation. Note: You must re-customize 14.x to get the same customizations made in an earlier installation.
Note: If you do not want to customize the Reflection installation or to make additional files available to your users, installing and deploying Reflection to your users is a simple two-step process. For more information, see the section titled "Simple Reflection Deployment" in Technical Note 1686.
Upgrading the Workstations to Reflection 14.x
Before upgrading workstations to Reflection 14.x, note the following:
- You cannot install Reflection 14.x and retain an earlier version of Reflection. The Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) will detect and automatically upgrade the earlier version (listed in the Applies To section above) to 14.x. The earlier version will be removed by the upgrade, even if it is located in a different location.
- If you have more than one Reflection product on a PC, be sure to upgrade all of the Reflection products at the same time.
- Reflection 13.0 or higher ships with Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) 3.x. However, when Reflection is installed from an administrative installation, Reflection does not automatically update the Windows Installer as it does from the CD or CD image.
After the administrative installation point has been updated, the workstations can now be upgraded from the earlier version to Reflection 14.x. Use standard methods for installing from an administrative installation point such as creating a shortcut or running Setup.exe from the administrative installation point.
For more information about creating a shortcut to deploy Reflection using Reflection Deployment Manager, see the section titled "Create a Deployment Shortcut" in the Preparing to Deploy Reflection Guide (PDF): http://www.attachmate.com/docs/reflection/14.1/deploy.pdf.