Technical Note 1502
Last Reviewed 31-May-2006
Reflection Windows-based Products version 13.0 through 14.x
A licensed copy of Reflection will automatically upgrade an evaluation copy of Reflection. The features and registry settings will be migrated from the evaluation copy. This technical note explains how to preserve settings when upgrading from an evaluation copy to a licensed copy of Reflection.
Upgrading Reflection from an Evaluation Copy to a Licensed Copy
To upgrade Reflection from an evaluation copy to a licensed copy, follow the steps below.
If the evaluation copy has expired, you must uninstall the evaluation copy of Reflection before installing the licensed copy. If the evaluation copy is not removed before the licensed copy is installed, you will continue to see the "your evaluation copy has expired" error after the upgrade. If you are seeing this error, simply uninstall both the evaluation copy and licensed copy of Reflection, and then reinstall the licensed version of Reflection.
If the evaluation copy is still valid, you do not need to uninstall it before installing the licensed copy. The licensed copy of Reflection will automatically detect and upgrade the evaluation copy.
- Place the Reflection CD in the CD-ROM drive; the installation program will begin automatically. If prompted, select Workstation Installation.
Note: Before the product installation begins, Reflection will check the version of Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) on the machine. If it detects you are installing Reflection 13.0 or higher and the current version of MSI on the machine is not version 3.0 or higher, you will be prompted to update the service. The "optional upgrade to Windows Installer 3.0" is an optional update; the default option is Skip.
- The Reflection Installation Wizard will display the following message: "A Prior version of Reflection has been detected and will be upgraded by this installation package." Click Next.
- On the Customer Information panel, you have the option to enter your name, organization, and Volume Purchase Account (VPA) number. For more information about VPA numbers, see http://support.attachmate.com/programs/vpa.html.
- On the Destination Folder panel, the destination folder will default to where you installed the evaluation copy. It is strongly recommended that you install the Reflection licensed copy to the same destination folder as the evaluation copy.
Note: If you choose to install the licensed copy of Reflection to a different folder than where the evaluation copy is installed, your settings cannot be migrated. You can install the licensed copy to the desired location and then create new settings.
- The Installation Type (also on the Destination Folder panel) will default to Custom when an evaluation copy is detected. The Custom installation type will allow the upgrade to retain the same feature selections as installed in the evaluation copy.
Note: If you choose the "Typical" installation type during the upgrade, the default features will be installed rather than those features originally selected when you installed the Reflection evaluation copy.
- In the Select Features dialog box, review your feature selections.
- After completing the installation options section, click Next to start the installation.
- The installation will upgrade Reflection and will remove files associated with the evaluation copy. Add/Remove Programs will list only the licensed version of Reflection you installed.
Note: All settings and files that are created in a Reflection evaluation copy will be migrated and will run in a licensed copy of Reflection.
The evaluation copy of Reflection is not intended to be deployed to mission-critical workstations. If you tested Reflection by performing an administrative installation and creating a transform with Customization Manager using the evaluation copy, Attachmate recommends that you create a new administrative installation, a new transform, and new customizations to deploy the licensed copy of Reflection.
This process includes re-recording the installation for the users, profiling Reflection, and adding files. You do not need to re-create the settings files, just add them to the new transform.